- Title of piece: "Fanga Alafia" (Although I've found similar versions that are titled "Funga Alafia")
- Performer(s): Drum for Joy Orchestra
- Culture of Origin: Ghana, Africa
- Instrumentation: Djembes, voice, idiophone
With a concert just a few weeks away, I've been searching for some videos to share with my students of songs that we will be performing. I came across this drumming group performing a version of "Fanga Alafia" which is something I'm doing with my 3rd grade students. The topic of this week is to discuss the socialization that music play offers. I feel like I see this all the time in the elementary setting. Students who might be new to having me as a music teacher or are just new to school are often nervous to participate and share in the music making process. However, I always notice that after a few weeks the participation level increases tremendously. I was impressed to hear so many students participate in the singing in this video. But I think it's a great example of how music can really bring people together.
A personal experience that relates to the video above happen just a few weeks ago at one of my elementary buildings. A string quartet from the Flint Symphony Orchestra came to our school to not only share the gift of music, but they also incorporated a story about working together. I noticed in the beginning, the students were hesitant to participate. However, as the musicians continued to play and at the end of the assembly when the musicians were looking for student musicians to play along with them, the students were all jumping out of their seats to be a part of the music. I saw students, who are normally so shy and quiet in my class, stand up and dance with a few other friends. Music really does bring out a social aspect that can't always be seen in a traditional classroom.
I remember teaching this song when I taught elementary music! The kids always enjoyed singing it, too. If my memory serves me correctly, we played the game using various objects to pass around a circle. The object was to pass the object using steady beat concepts and to reinforce the concept of teamwork. The group in the video was fortunate to have drums and other instruments to use for this. Had I opportunity to teach this again, there are several different things I could do to teach musical as well as social concepts.
ReplyDeleteHi Holly! I like using this song to teach form and phrasing. The drums are an added bonus. You might be thinking of "Obwisana" as the passing song, however this song would also work well!
DeleteHello Prea!
ReplyDeleteI love Funga Alafia! I was introduced to it in the first day of my general methods class in college and loved the catchy melodies. I too use this song to teach form and phrasing with my students as you mentioned to Holly above me. However, I have the kids up in moving in the middle section and they have a little dance during B. My kids were are always very hesitant when I first teach it to them, but after a class or two they come around and really get into it. It's interesting how many different versions there are of songs such as this that are mainly passed through oral tradition. Nice post!
Your post addresses socializing among students, but I would argue that you have not addressed socialization, Prea, meaning leading children to be aware of the social norms and values of their culture. As shared in the Campbell and Lew article, musical play can teach children about turn taking, cooperation, and so forth...how might Fanga Alafia be an example of this?
ReplyDeleteAs a side note, there are many videos of dances associated with Fanga online that might be interesting to share with your students.