Saturday, March 26, 2016

Module 4

  1. Title of piece: Matarile (however, I know this song as "Ambos a Dos")
  2. Performer(s): Unknown
  3. Culture of Origin: Puerto Rico
  4. Instrumentation: Vocals, drum, shaker

For this week's blog entry I wanted to focus on a song that I have taught to my students. I typed in "Ambos a Dos" into youtube and the top hits were all from Western cultures performing the song that I am familiar with. However, I wanted to find something that was a little more authentic, so I kept searching. Finally, I found this video with a different title, but the melody is almost the same. I noticed that this song was very similar to "Ambos a Dos" one major difference was the lyrics. While it was somewhat hard to hear, the lyrics were obviously different than what I'm used to teaching. The lyrics provided in the text that I use says, "Ambos a dos, matarile rile rile. Ambos a dos, matarile rile ron" Then it goes into the verse. Overall, I felt that finding an authentic video helped to prove that the song I'm teaching is fairly authentic to what the children learn in Puerto Rico. The lyrics are fairly similar and so is the melody. I'd be interested to find out if the song is performed with more instruments (ex. violin) like the recording I have of if it's normally just simple percussion. 

1 comment:

  1. I am curious as to what criteria you are using to define something as authentic. What are your "look fors" when searching for new material?

    ReplyDelete